Sometimes as the week goes on I’m too tired, too lazy or too busy to make my usual salad with a side of chicken for lunch. Or better yet, your friends and/or coworkers want to celebrate that you’ve made it to Thursday or Friday of the week and go out for lunch. When I choose a place, I want to still know what I’m eating. During the week, I try not to derail my eating habits even for a lunch outing (or maybe I should say especially because I would so much rather enjoy pizza or Chinese at home on a Friday or a yummy weekend dinner/brunch out with friends).
One of my all time favorite options is Protein Bar in The Loop of Downtown Chicago. Protein Bar was founded by Matt Matros on the principles that food should not only taste good, but be healthy and easily available. I have had probably close to 50% of the menu and haven’t been let down once on taste. I love this place so much that I always recommend it to people and have brought friends and coworkers there as well. The things that get me going about this place are the following:
- It’s healthy!!! You know me by now…I try to keep it on the cleaner side, and this place has tons of options. I’ve had some of their smoothies when I was keeping it on the lighter side and the quinoa bowls and bar-ritos when my body is craving my nutrients
- Everything is spelled out for you! On their brightly lit menu you board they list out the calories, fat, protein and carbs. I LOVE THIS! I don’t have to calculate in my head or guesstimate. It really makes life so much easier when places are transparent with their nutrition. They also make it easy for you to plan ahead if you want to check out the menu before hand by providing you with this nifty nutrition calculator on their website. I die for a good nutrition calculator (nerd in me)
- The food is actually good! As I previously stated, I’ve had about half the menu by now, really loving it all. Above is the quinoa Spinach and Pesto bowl, and it was totally delicious! And the Pier-Nut Butter and Jelly Smoothie is amaze
- It’s filling. There is nothing I hate more than eating and not being full. You will definitely be full after eating here
- Quick and friendly service – a lot of times when I’m running out for lunch, I don’t have time to waste. At Protein Bar, I am in and out in a flash while everyone I encounter who works there is very friendly and always has a smile on their face.
- Great atmosphere – the few times I have been able to eat there I’ve appreciated the decor. It’s also been clean and comfortable. I’ve never run into a sticky table yet!
Overall, I’m a huge fan, if you can’t tell. So next time you are looking for a healthy place to eat in the Chicagoland area, take a look to see if there is Protein Bar around to stop in and get a tasty healthy meal.
Facebook: Protein Bar
Wet Hair, Don’t Care