Football season is officially upon us, and in my house, that means CHICKEN WINGS! My husband is a chicken wings addict. He loves them with all his heart, and I’ve grown to appreciate them (especially in the privacy of my own home since they are messy).
Few problems with wings though:
- They are expensive to get from a restaurant
- They are unhealthy as f*ck from a restaurant
- When you make them at home from a frozen bag they are gross
After years of trying different things, the husband and I discovered grilling them is where it’s at. It’s healthy, and about half the price of restaurant wings. Best part of this method is you can control the ingredients and get crazy with marinades or dry rubs – keep it was healthy as you want (or don’t want if that’s the route you choose). The world is your oyster when it comes to what you want as your flavor. I’m going to share with you the basic Grilled Buffalo Chicken Wings recipe today. You can take that knowledge and expand on it. Bonus recipe too is the most basic Hidden Valley Ranch Dip – it’s the best for dipping wings or veggies in.
Start out by placing your wings in a gallon bag with your marinade (ours is classical Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Wing Sauce & Glaze)
Make the ranch dip per the specifications below
Heat the grill to about 400°, then place wings on and drop the burners the wings are over to in between low to medium (you don’t want to burn them)
After 7 – 10 minutes – FLIP!
Flip again after another 7 – 10 minutes. This time baste them with your baster brush and a small bowl of sauce. You will repeat this step after another 7 – 10 minutes.
Once you have flipped 3 times and the wings have been on for been about 30 mins, check the meat to make sure it’s done. If done, remove, toss in some more sauce to your taste and serve! (If it’s not, continuing cooking and then do what I just said.)
Grilled Buffalo Chicken Wings:
Servings: this made 30 wings…which fed two of us….but usually I’d say that feeds 3 people (you can average 10 wings per person)
- Gallon plastic bag
- Grilling tongs
- Basting brush
- Small bowl
- Something to put the wings in when done – we use a mixing bowl so we can add more sauce
- 3 packages of chicken wings drumsticks – thawed. We always go for the drumsticks because really who wants that wing BS? But if you want to be traditional, you can get packages of wings and drumsticks. They usually come in packages of 10. On average, the typical person will eat 10 wings; however, you can budget for more, if need be. If you buy these frozen, thaw them in the fridge the day before using!
- 2 bottles of Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Wing Sauce & Glaze – we like this one because it tastes good, and it has NO added sugar and is gluten free, yet if you have a favorite already go for it
- Put all the wings in a gallon bag and dump a whole bottle of marinade in the bag.
- LET MARINADE FOR AT MINIMUM 2 HRS, overnight is the better but if you can’t I get that. Definitely let them sit though – the flavor is better
- Get the grill nice and toasty beforehand – about 400°
- Once the grill is heated, place the wings on the grill
- Turn the burners the wings are over to in between low to medium – we cook the wings at a lower heat so the outside doesn’t burn before the inside is cooked
- After about 7 – 10 minutes turn the wings
- Turn the wings again after about another 7 – 10 minutes turn again, this time baste the side you just flipped up
- Let sit for 7 – 10 more minutes then flip one last time, baste
- Finally, 10 minutes after that third flip, you should be done – so in total 3 flips with a total of about 25 – 30 mins on the grill
- CHECK the meat to make sure it is done…if it’s not, keep cooking until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. You don’t want salmonella.
- If the wings are done, remove on to a clean a container – we use a mixing bowl because at this point we toss them in some more SBR Buffalo Wing Sauce. You can choose to do this or not. We usually just a quarter to half of the new bottle depending on how saucy we want them
- Then enjoy with the ranch (below) and some celery!
Hidden Valley Ranch Dip:
Servings: a lot (sorry I’m a smart ass but we make this for all our fan get together veggie trays and ALWAYS have left overs, so it really does make a lot)
Equipment: Bowl & spoon or spatula
- Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Seasoning Packet
- 16 oz of sour cream – we use Daisy (you can use whatever brand you prefer)
- Empty the sour cream into the bowl
- Empty the contains of the packet into the same bowl with the sour cream
- Mix really well
- And there you go – it’s the simple!!!
- Cover and refrigerate until needed (if you make it ahead of time)
And that’s our EASY Grilled Buffalo Chicken Wing Recipe!! Now go chow down over some hopefully good football games!
Wet Hair, Don’t Care